It takes time to study, and taking time means spending money. Most people believe that to get formal qualifications, you need to study for hours instead of gaining work experience, and however, that is not true. If you want to gain formal qualifications for an industry you have worked for many years, then Rpl qualifications are meant for you.
Rpl is a system that credits your work experience with qualifications that the government recognizes. If you pass this qualification, you can earn a course certificate faster and save money that you may have spent on studying the same topics you have work experience with.
For RPL qualifications, you need to pass an assessment in which your formal and non-formal knowledge is assessed to determine which credits you can obtain from your work experience and which ones can help you reduce your required study time.
If you go for the classic path, it may take you longer to earn a certificate. RPL is a substitute for the training period since it enables you to achieve your credits faster, especially if you have a lot of industry knowledge and experience.
The Australian government supports Rpl courses because it understands that experience is as valuable as formal studies. However, the speed of this process will be different for each candidate. In general, you should be able to get your qualifications in weeks instead of many years. You can, however, ensure a swift assessment period through these tips.
- Ensure that your work experience matches a particular course’s learning results.
- Complete and provide the assessment form with as much evidence and documentation as you can provide to support your work experience. Wait before you hear back from your assessment team.
- Understand the qualifications you require to make a proper decision about which ones will truly help you advance your career.
- Research the fees you will be required to pay for your qualifications so you can adequately budget them.
- Make sure you submit the correct email address and postal address to your team so they can send you your qualifications promptly.
Here are some more tips to help you make the most out of your Rpl courses.
- RTO Investigation
This investigation means you will have to research to determine which training organization you should choose to obtain your qualifications. The important things to look for in an RTO are-
a. Quality- It is better to be wary of websites when making such important decisions. Make sure to thoroughly check the RTO’s website and contact them in person before going forward with the process.
b. Price- You do not want to pay very high fees for your qualification, and most private organizations are cheaper and more affordable than bigger RTOs. So, compare the prices before choosing an organization to handle your process.
How Does It Work
In short, Skills Assessment or RPL lets you be formally qualified without having to take an actual course. You do not have to pay much either. This sounds too good to be real. Well, it is. There are a few requirements for obtaining an RPL certificate. Like most RTOs prefer a work experience of over five years. However, it is not mandatory, and you can gain certification even with less time as long as you have the knowledge and documentation to prove your experience. Some RTOs may be hesitant to work with less work experience, but you can find one that will accept you.
Once you have chosen the course you wish to take and the RTO you want to work with, they will explain the entire process to you. The short version of the RPL process is that you have to prove you have the knowledge required to obtain this qualification, and you can prove this in two ways.
- Knowledge-based– This is where you will be asked some questions regarding the course units. You can prove your ability and understanding of the specific course through this process. Your trainer will also understand the extent of your knowledge, making your skill assessment process more accessible.
- Physical evidence- Now, this is where it gets a little complicated. It is not hard, but it may be troublesome for some candidates. You can provide physical proof in various ways, depending on your course. You will be required to submit your resume and a workplace checklist or a letter signed by your manager or supervisor confirming your capabilities. The next step is to collect more physical evidence, and most RTOs will help you through that process.
For example, if you are taking a media course, you need to showcase an understanding of cameras. Then as proof, you can submit three different types of photos taken in different situations along with multiple video shots with various features. You can gather physical evidence to prove your abilities based on your course.
The RTO has now been selected, the evidence has been submitted, and your coach confirms your abilities and chances of gaining the certification. Most of the time, people love going through this process because it enhances their understanding of their field.
Hence, if you are interested in obtaining a certification for your industry and have years of work experience, why not try RPL courses.
We hope these tips will help you speed up your RPL certification process. You must research and find a reasonable RTO that is legitimate and supportive. Your assessment team and coach should be helpful and understanding. It will help if you have many years of experience in the field and a good relationship with your manager or supervisor. It would help if you were prepared to answer all your area and work experience questions. You will have to sit through multiple interviews to qualify, and you should be mentally prepared for that.
Enjoy your qualification.